Articles & FAQ
Will my website be found by Google?
(About Search Engine Optimisation)
The short answer to this question is: initially, no, but over time, most likely yes. A brand new website will take time to be found and indexed, but there are things we can do to help this process along.
Did you know that currently 87% of Australians use Google as their primary means to search for businesses? This just goes to show how important it is for you to have a online presence. Unfortunately though, just because you have a website does not guarantee that people are going to find it. There are many factors that can effect your Search Engine Results Page (SERP) Rank, and it can take time for your website to 'climb up the ladder'.
What is my SERP Rank?
Whenever someone conducts a Google (or any other search engine) search, the result page will show a list of links to web pages that relate to the words that were entered in the search. These links are displayed in order of relevance based on a series of factors such as your website content, page description, number of pages in your site and incoming links. The higher up the list a website is displayed, the higher the SERP Rank.
What is Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)?
SEO can be defined as the process of making your website achieve a higher SERP Ranking. Ultimately, you want your page to be at the top of the list! However, due to the myriad of ever-changing factors that effect your ranking, this process takes time, and you are not always guaranteed the results you desire.
What Design Sense offers for SEO
In order for a website to be able to be found, it needs to be set up correctly. There are hidden tags that can be embedded in the code of the website to help it to be indexed, and we will make sure that these are in place from the beginning. We will also help you choose your key words, title and description, making sure they are relevant and in line with your website content. Design Sense also offers a service called 'Search Engine Booster' that submits your website to hundreds of Search Engines for a low annual cost.
See our article on Choosing your key words, title and description for more information
What else can I do?
There are a few things you can do yourself to increase your website's chances of being found;
- Submit your business to Google Places
- Submit your business to online directories such as Hot Frog and Yellow Pages, making sure you include a link back to your website
- Make sure you are updating your website regularly and adding fresh and original information
- Utilise Social Media to plug your website and link back to it regularly
- Write an article about something related to your website and submit it to an article directory such as EzineArticles.com or GoArticles.com
- Monitor your website statistics regularly to determine where your traffic is coming from, and whether you are getting an increasing amount of visitors or not. (Ask us about setting up analytics on your website)
- Participate in an online advertising campaign such as Google Adwords
Remember that online searches are not the only way people will find your website. You should always include your web address in your advertising, on your business cards and stationery, and link to it in your emails. And don't forget to tell your existing clients, family and friends about your new website and ask them to spread the word as well.